Re: Beast: midi percussion?

   Hi!

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:10:58AM +0200, W.Boeke wrote:
> After import of a midi file, what can be done with the
> percussion channel? General Midi difines about 80 percussive
> sounds, mapped to different midi notes on channel 10.
> Is the mapping to beast synthesizers or waves implemented
> and how do you handle that?

The "beast" way to do it, is to create so-called bsewave files, which
can contain many individual samples. That way, you can create a bsewave
file containing a base drum sample and a snare sample and so on, and
define for which frequency (which midi note) these shall be used.

Tracks/examples I made already contain such multi samples, and the 808
kit you can download from the instrument archive at the beast site is
based on such a multisample, too. However, bsewavetool (which is needed
to create such bsewave files) is not yet part of any official beast
release.

We're working on including it in the next release, 0.7.2, of beast, as
the tentative release plan shows:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/beast/2007-April/msg00001.html

Stefan Westerfeld, Hamburg/Germany, http://space.twc.de/~stefan