Re: Import a MIDI file

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

  Hi!

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 12:54:52AM +0200, Tim Janik wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2007, W.Boeke wrote:
I imported a MIDI file and got all the channels listed correctly
in the beast window. I then mapped each channel to an existing
synthesizer, however then the show stopped. What can I do further?

hm, testing it out it seems you still need to assign the tracks
to at least the Master mixer bus for playback.

beast also has a script that is meant to be usable for this, however
it currently doesn't work for me.
Stefan, does Tools/Song/Assign-Tracks-... work for you? it doesn't
seem to work after a MIDI file import or a new project with a single
unconnected track here. can you reproduce that or do you need a bug
report about it?

It works the way I designed it, that is, it only reassigns those tracks
that are connected to master, and no other bus. It does this because:

So: just the midi import needs to be fixed, the script does the right
thing.

i don't agree with that statement. granted, the midi import needs to be
fixed, but there are other ways to end up with an unconnected track.
in such a case, the script name is simply misleading when it says
"assign tracks to individual mixer busses". it should either be renamed
(according to your description, to: "assign _connected_ tracks to
individual mixer busses", but that triggers the question of where an
*unconnected* script variant is) or be fixed to reconnected
disconnected tracks as well. i'd say the latter is the obvious choice
and fail to see a good reason for the script to not connect currently
unconnected tracks.

  Cu... Stefan

---
ciaoTJ