Re: Beast 0.5.4 on NetBSD

Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 chris.wareham@btopenworld.com wrote:
>
> > I noticed that the release notes for the latest version of Beast
> > mention changes to build on NetBSD. As a result, I downloaded the
> > source and tried building it on NetBSD -current.
> >
> > The configure script doesn't find the NetBSD /dev/audio device,
> > which seems to be the equivalent of /dev/dsp on Linux. I hand
> > edited the configure script to look for this device, and also made
> > it look for /dev/sequencer instead of /dev/midi. I also forced
> > configure to add the libossaudio library to the dependencies.
> >
> > Having done this, Beast built without problem. I was 99% sure that
> > the /dev/audio change was correct for NetBSD, and once Beast was
> > installed it ran flawlessy using my onboard audio. I'm less sure
> > about the /dev/sequencer change, but haven't had a chance to test
> > it yet.
> >
> > So, Beast runs like a dream on my NetBSD machine (barring any
> > problems when I test MIDI). If someone can help me get the
> > autoconf stuff sorted out, then I'd like to submit a pkgsrc entry
> > for Beast to the NetBSD project.
>
> sorry, screwed up the adress in my previous email. the guy currently
> working on getting beast to work on NetBSD is collver1@comcast.net.
> he hasn't finished the configure.in changes yet (being stopped by a
> poll() bug in PTH first).

Great to see I'm not the only person using Beast on NetBSD!

I assume that the other guy is working on NetBSD 1.6.x, as Pth is no
longer required on NetBSD -current. Along with decent SMP support, the
most important new feature in the upcoming NetBSD 2.0 will be native
threading. It's a little buggy with some apps at the moment (Mozilla
blows up after paging out), but Beast hasn't been problematic.

If you want someone to test any changes on NetBSD -current before
committing them to CVS then let me know. Thanks to a lack of an ALSA
compatability layer in NetBSD I've been looking at Linux audio and MIDI
applications with some envy - so I'm quite excited about these changes
to Beast.

Regards,

Chris