[Banshee-List] Help! All track information erased when I move a file to a different folder

Hello, I searched the forum and read the FAQ but couldn't find information about this. If it has been answered elsewhere I would be grateful for a link. Basically I have a large music collection and often move things from my laptop to an external hard drive and the other way round. I've just spent longer than I'd like to admit filling in the minute details of loads of different tracks, moved the files to their final destination, re-imported them and all the information is gone! I will understand if it's impossible to get the work back, but is there any way to avoid this in future? I'm really about to cry. I'm using Banshee 2.6.2 on a Linux Mint 17.2. Would be grateful for any assistance.

Best, Scott