Re: [Banshee-List] Why won't podcast notice already downloaded podcasts?

On Tue, 2015-07-28 at 07:15 -0700, gnomeuser gmail com wrote:
tl;dr:
There is no reliable way to do this. Podcasts rely on extremely frail
technology. Importing an existing Banshee database is your best bet.

+1

Longer, more depressing:
Each Show/Network publishes a feed (typically RSS) which lists the
episodes they currently have available.  .... The podcast feed does
have useful information that could be applied towards this task, e.g.
if there was a published checksum we could calculate that for files
found in the Podcast folder or specified by the user and match them
that way. After all checksum must be how we determine if the file was
downloaded correctly, right?

Technically I believe the Etag on the podcast blob [the MP3 file]
should be able to serve the purpose of change detection with a simple
HEAD request... but, of course, nobody implements this [server side]
correctly.  So there is no point in a client making the request.

Bingo you are thinking, Banshee sucks for not doing this and you’d be
right.. was it not for the depressing state of Podcast feeds.

Yep.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383