Re: [Banshee-List] Buffering internet radio

On Wed, 21 May 2014 05:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
Moonbase <moonbase quantentunnel de> dijo:

Same here (Ubuntu studio 14.04; Banshee 2.6.2). Buffer builds up to
about 81%, jitters a lot, and slowly decreases to less and less
percent until it craps out. Playing the same stream with other players
(i.e., Audacious) (on the same or another system) plays along happily,
not one drop or stop.

Thank you for your corroboration of the problem. Your description is
exactly what happens to me.

After reading your response I installed Audacious, hoping it would be a
solution, but I can't figure out how to get it to play a radio stream.
If I try to add an URL for the stream it appears to accept it, but the
stream never appears in any of the menus, so I cannot select it to
play. But I do note that Audacious has the ability to let the user
specify how much to buffer the stream. I can do this with Tune-In radio
on my Android phone as well, and it helps a lot, but apparently the
option does not exist in Banshee.

The thing to remember is that the really popular streaming radio
stations all have excellent bandwidth, so heavy buffering is not
necessary. But I like classical music, and most of those stations are
dependent on listener donations for their existence. They cannot always
afford enough bandwidth to serve all the people who are trying to
listen.