[Banshee-List] BPM detection inefficient/too slow?

I have a song library of some 40.000 titles, mostly MP3, moving over to FLAC,
some OGG.

I started BPM detection with Banshee about 5 weeks (!) ago, and apart from a
few software updates and restarts, Banshee has been constantly running
since, but the little throbber still shows "BPM detection" and only quite a
few titles have been getting new BPM values (a part of the collection
already has BPM info, calculated with MixMeister under Windows, a few years
ago).

Is the BPM calculation really such a slow process or am I making any
mistakes? (Using Banshee under Ubuntu Studio 14.04 now, formerly under
13.10.) Is there any way to debug this?