Re: [Banshee-List] MIDI playback

Hello IBBoard,

thank you for your response. I already have the libgstreamer-plugins-bad-* packages installed so it seems I am up to "some tweaking". I'll start with the articles you cited.

Cigydd

Banshee uses a library called GStreamer for its media playback (as a
number of other media players do). From a quick search online then
GStreamer doesn't currently support MIDI files [1] in the core library.

That said, installing the "gstreamer-plugins-bad" package *may* add
support [2], if Ubuntu has the same plugins packaged as Arch do.  Some
tweaking may be required.

[1]
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-dependencies.html#idp64221312
[2]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MIDI#GStreamer-based_players_like_Totem_.28GNOME_Videos.29_or_Rhythmbox

On 23/12/14 22:08, Cigydd wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I use Banshee a long time. Installed it again on Linux Mint 17 Qiana,
> upgraded to 17.1 Rebecca on my 32-bit desktop computer.
>
> It works nice but for the MIDI files I get a warning and they get marked as
> broken or unsupported.
>
> This is the message in Czech:
> "mono-sgen vyžaduje instalaci zásuvných modulů pro přehrávání
> multimediálních souborů následujícího typu: audio/x-midi-event decoder"
>
> It translates to something as:
> "mono-sgen requires plug-in installation in order to play the multimedia
> files of type: audio/x-midi-event decoder"
>
> OK, how do I install the plug-in(s)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Cigydd
>

> --