[Banshee-List] Best way for a beginner to get their head around the code base and contribute

I am new to Open Source contribution, and have not worked on a large project
like Banshee before. I have got Banshee running in MonoDevelop and have
looked at the list of bugs on Bugzilla, but I am not sure how to proceed. I
would like to ask for advice about how to get my head around the codebase,
and the easiest way to begin contributing. Thank You.