Re: [Banshee-List] 2013 GSoC Entriy

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Tarus Balog <tarus opennms org> wrote:
On 02/18/2013 03:56 PM, Kevin Anthony wrote:
what does mentoring entail?

You are basically holding the hand of the GSoC student and are their
technical go-to person during the project.

Our experience with how painful it is varies. Last year our project had
a pretty good list of students. The pain level really depends on a few
things - how difficult/complex is the project you're mentoring, how
familiar are you with the topic and the technology involved and - most
importantly - how self-reliant is your student.

We've had a lot of great students capable of working largely on their
own and that makes the process not suck so bad.

Plus, you get US$500 from Google.

A clarification here: the $500 go to the organisation, so in our case,
GNOME or Mono. The mentor gets a t-shirt for Google, and hopefully
good work from a student.

This is a good page about mentoring for GSoC:
http://people.gnome.org/~federico/docs/summer-of-code-mentoring-howto/index.html

The GNOME pages for last year also have a lot of info:
https://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2012

--
Bertrand