Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee question

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Dick Parker <merryoakparker yahoo com> wrote:
Howdy y'all,
 I'm a noobie to Linux and after a lot of trial and error research have
settled on Linux Mint Debian Edition as my Linux OS of choice. Currently I'm
running a dual boot with LMDE and Windows XP SP3 and hoping to switch
completely to LMDE soon. My hold up is two programs which will not run on
LMDE  even with WINE and/or CrossoverLinux.

1) MovieOrganizer 2.8.6 (http://www.movieorganizer.se/download.php (which
can run with CrossoverLinux from codeweavers.com)

2) The biggie is JRivers Media Jukebox 8.400, the lowest entry in "old
versions" here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/

My problems in finding or properly utilizing Banshee, Clementine, and other
such programs are the need to create playlists or smartlists which allow, in
addition to artist, for single and multiple genres (example: female
vocalist, torch, romance, mood), to combine playlists or smartlists  and to
be able to have the program not play lists which contain the genre
"Christmas" except during the season.
 Can Banshee do this and if not, any comments and suggestions for other
Linux media programs would be greatly appreciated?

In Banshee, you can create playlists and smart playlist, and combine
then if you need to.
In particular, you can create a smart playlist that contains all
tracks that have a genre different than "Christmas".
For more details, see:
http://help.gnome.org/users/banshee/stable/playlists.html.en

If you want a playlist whose content changes automatically depending
on the date, so that for example it contains Christmas songs only in
December, then I don't think that's currently possible.
It would be possible to implement that as an extension, but it would
require some coding.

Please ask if I have not clarified what I am seeking. When I tried it with
Banshee, the program created 942 playlists rather than the dozen or so I had
intended. I'm currently working with Clementine.

How did you end up with 942 playlists in Banshee ? That doesn't sound good...

Thank you for any assistance, suggestions, and comments.

--
Bertrand