[Banshee-List] getting banshee to play automatically when launched

On Ubuntu 12.04 I want Banshee to automatically start playing automatically
when it is launched at login and/or when launched by alarm-clock. However,
banshee seems to ignore all command line options when launched, such that
regardless of what command line options I specify it doesn't do anything
after it is launched. However, once launched it responds to command line
options as expected, eg:

banshee --next
banshee --stop
banshee --play

Why won't it respond to these options when initially launched?

Is there anyway to get banshee to start playing automatically when it is
launched?

John