[Banshee-List] Abrupt start to playback - first few seconds clipped

I have Banshee on an old Toshiba laptop, running Bodhi Linux.  I find it far
better than the other media management software I have tried, but when
playing a series of tracks the first notes of music are clipped and the
start is shockingly abrupt.  Could this be a GStreamer problem?  Any ideas
as to what I might do about it would be greatly appreciated.