Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee as a UPnP client

Hi Bertrand,

Thank you for working on this, it was on my TODO list for awhile, but
unfortunately I never found time...

On 15 January 2012 02:27, Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As you might know, there's been a lot of work done towards enabling
> Banshee to act as a UPnP client (browse and play music and videos in
> Banshee by connecting to a UPnP media server). The lastest effort
> being from Tobias Arrskog, our 2011 Summer of Code student. You can
> read about his work at http://topfs2.wordpress.com/
>
> So we have for some time now a working extension, which uses
> Mono.Upnp, but Tobias's branch hasn't been merged yet into the main
> git repository. My understanding is that we were waiting on a release
> of Mono.Upnp, to be able to have it as a dependency.
> Sadly, Scott Thomas Peterson, the creator of Mono.Upnp, passed away a
> few months ago.
>
> I would really like to have UPnP support for the release of Banshee
> 2.4, which I plan to dedicate to Scott.

I'm very saddened to hear about Scott.

> So, unless someone steps up as a maintainer of Mono.Upnp in the coming
> days and makes a release, I plan to add the necessary source bits of
> Mono.Upnp in the Banshee source tree (in src/Libraries), make the
> extension use them, and merge this in git master. In fact, I've
> already done this in my local repo, and it works well for me (with
> MediaTomb as a server).
>
> I realize bundling source code is not ideal, but in this case I think
> it's the best solution for now :
> - AFAIK, we are the only consumer of Mono.Upnp.
> - Mono.Upnp contains a lot of other stuff that is not used by Banshee
> (server stuff, client GUI, etc.). So maintaining the bundled source is
> less effort than maintaining the whole thing.
> - This allows us to offer uPnP support without adding any external dependencies.
> - This is not really different from the situation for our DAAP support
>
> In any case, if somebody picks up Mono.Upnp in the future, we will
> then drop the bundled source and depend on it as an external
> dependency.
>
> So what do you think about this ? Any thoughts or objections ?

Why not commit it to the main repo at mono/mono-upnp? In August I
asked Miguel to add this repo to the Banshee team, we now have full
access to it.

> Please keep in mind that I'm only speaking about Banshee acting as a
> client, not sharing your Banshee library through UPnP.
>
> --
> Bertrand Lorentz

Thanks again!

Cheers,