Re: [Banshee-List] iPod sync - Files on iPod but cannot play them (no music found)

Hi Mathieu,

I wouldn't give up entirely on the bug. The latest update was only from about 7 months ago. At the very least I would try asking for an update. The last post is from a developer attempting to gather more informaton for troubleshooting but no one answered. If you are willing to answer questions then I bet the devs would want to help. Of course, I would totally understand if you didn't want to spend your personal time doing so. :)

To answer your question about supported devices, here is what libgpod states:

This release has support for all iPod models except the iPod Nano 6g (the touch one). Most non-jailbroken iOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone) are also supported with the notable exception of the iPad and the iPhone/iPod Touch 4 which are only supported as read-only devices.

According to their statements your device should work. I suppose you could try a newer shuffle or nano (except for nano 6g) and it would work. I would also avoid the iPod Touch 4g (the latest) since I have seen many people asking about that one and no one seems to have solved it yet on Linux. More specifically, no one has solved the latest version of the internal Apple DB format so their newest devices are a risky bet. I personally have an iPod Classic 7G (the newest) but apparently that uses the older DB format because it works perfectly.

Banshee uses 'libmtp' for interactions with MTP devices, which many other mp3 players use. Here is a link to their site to investigate the devices supported by this library: http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/

Now, regarding your comment about a 'bypass'. I originally put this in my first email but took it out because I didn't like what I was recommending. I'm pretty reluctant to state it because I have no idea what will happen if you try. That said...

I was looking through some of those links in the comments and one link says that if you force an older version of libgpod to be installed on your system then things seem to work. Here are the instructions on Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10830193#post10830193

That makes me nervous in multiple ways. First, I have no idea what will happen in Banshee if you do this. I would assume it would work but I really don't know. I'm too new to Banshee to fully understand the consequences and the example is specifically referring to RhythmBox, not Banshee. Second, forcing an older version could cause all sorts of dependency problems on your system. It's risky but that post seems to indicate that it will work. Granted, that user was on Ubuntu 10.10, so...I don't know.

If you are a risk-taker then you could investigate that angle. But if you do go that route then I think you should be prepared to clean up your packages afterwards if things go horribly wrong.

-Phil