Re: [Banshee-List] Where is Banshee heading regarding Novell?

Hello,

IIRC, Gabriel work for Novell. So do not know what append to him.
Is he in Xamarian, still in Novell... I do not have any clue...
I just see no commits on banshee git from him since 10 days. Maybe he is just on holiday...

Hope he will keep his job on banshee because I need reviewer for dvd and video refactor patch ;-)

I am just joking but Gabriel have done an amazing job so I hope that he will remain there in future !

Olivier Dufour

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Samuel Gyger <samuel gyger at> wrote:

> I'm sure not only me heart about the progress that Novell and mono took,
> some weeks ago. Read [1]. Confirmed by Miguel ([2]).
>
> The question for me is where is Banshee going, as it is somehow a
> project that had Novell backing it. I believe the community is big
> enough to take it without Novell (Attachmate) (are we?), but what's with
> the Name, Domain etc?
>
> I'm not sure if only I'm interested, but I would love to have some
> infos, as I like the Musicplayer very much, and in case the names
> changes I need to know what to install ;)

Disclaimer: This is my personal point of view, it's not an official
statement from the maintainer team
Anti-Disclaimer: I never worked for Novell, and never had any
contractual relationship with them.

I think we can all be grateful for the support Novell has provided
over the years, both to the Banshee project and to the open source
ecosystem in general.

Novell currently holds the copyright over a significant part of the
Banshee source code. As that code is licensed under MIT/X11, I don't
think it has any impact at all : anyone can do anything with the code
anyway (except removing copyright notices).

The banshee-project.org and banshee.fm domain names both belong to
Aaron. And he's also paying for the Linode server hosting our website.
Somebody get that man a beer ! and bacon !

Banshee is a registered trademark of Novell, and I have no idea what
that actually means concretely. I'm taking this as a sign that it's
not a big deal ;)

Anything beyond those facts would be idle speculation at this point,
so I don't see anything that has to be changed right now. Of course,
I'd be happy to hear any suggestions if anyone thinks otherwise.

Let's keep on rocking !!

--
Bertrand Lorentz