Re: [Banshee-List] Newbie: importing changes directory structure

Hi,

See my comments in the text below.

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM, TerChris <banshee arezibo com> wrote:
> Hi all
> I set aside time for cleaning up my music collection. As Banshee comes with
> the new Ubuntu I wanted to give it  a try.
>
> I cant figure out the logic that is used by banshee to organize my folders.
>
> I have a structure on my disk
> ArtistA
>   Album1
>   Album2
>   Album3
>  ArtistB
>   Album1
>
> Sometimes when I import a Artist then the directory structure is canged.
> Say I import ArtistA above. Then all the songs in Album1 and Album2 is
> places in Album3.
>
> It looks OK in Banshee, that is I can see the tree albums, but on the disk
> it is messed up.

I guess you've intentionally enabled the "Update file and folder
names" option, to have Banshee reorganize your folder structure ?
If you prefer, you can disable it and Banshee will not rename your folders.

> I have tried to sort this several times manually, and done a new import, but
> Banshee seems to mess it up every time. The strange thing is that not all
> artists are messed up like this.
> Often Banshee cleans up a ArtistX folder and creates Album1.. Album5
> folders.
>
> There must be some logic here that I do not understand.

My first advice would be to check the tags of your files. Once they
are imported by Banshee, do they all have the album name you expect ?
If not, you can correct it, and the folder structure should be updated
to reflect the changes (if the above option is enabled.).

--
Bertrand Lorentz