[Banshee-List] mplayer backend for Banshee video playback

Greetings,

I just subscribed to the Banshee mailing list today mostly to suggest using mplayer for video playback as the subject suggests. First, I'll clarify what I am and am not aware of:
  • Banshee's function is modular
  • presumably video support is being coded ground-up
  • not aware of any possible problems using mplayer as video playback backend - being a leecher of free software, I'm not much of a programmer
  • don't know if this has been discussed before
I love the idea of modularity - I simply hate having things that I don't use hogging resources and memories, one of the foremost reason I love Linux as well. And because Banshee is modular I want to suggest that video playback module use mplayer as a backend. As I mentioned earlier, I'm presuming that, video support is being written ground up for Banshee, so instead of reinventing the wheel, can't we just use the proven work of mplayer? I use mplayer, and it does it's stuff simply great. Coupled with Banshee, I wouldn't have any qualms of using this frontend. mplayer is also cross-platform to boot!

Again, I would like to reiterate, that I'm ignorant of any possible issues on the way of it's use in Banshee, so I'd kindly ask you to explain it to me.

Hopefully,
TT