Re: [Banshee-List] What is the album-artist issue?

2010/11/12 Jannik Heller <scrawl baseoftrash de>
Am Donnerstag, den 11.11.2010, 22:12 +0100 schrieb zekopeko:
> I keep hearing about this but I don't have any compilation albums. Can
> somebody provide a couple of screenshot and a short explanation?

I have this problem too. It's very annoying, not only for compilation
albums, but sometimes there is a featured artist on an album. The only
solution right now is to manually set the album artist.

IMO Banshee should always assume that an album with the same name is the
same album and display it as 1 album in the browser. Different albums
with the same name is a rather rare case. In this case, the user can set
a different album artist so that the albums get seperated.

My N900 does this and it is the reason why I now have 1 album called Icon by both James Brown and Nirvana, whereas Banshee does the obviously correct thing and separates the two.

Regardless of which standard we pick there are going to be cases of obvious failure. However in my opinion retagging compilation album to be so is a more obvious fix than whatever I would do to separate the example above.

Dufoli wrote this wonderful last.fm fingerprinter that will automatically correct your metadata, why not just run that on suspected compilation albums if it is available, if last.fm gets it wrong with their huge database of songs at least we have tried. History has never be kind to whack-a-molers so I say we automate.