[Banshee-List] Hal is dead, long live Hal!

Hey guys,

An excerpt from Alex Launis latest report from this google summer of code work:

A while ago I started working on excising HAL from Banshee by writing a hardware backend that uses GIO's Volume Monitor for device detection. This week, with a little help from the wonderful Alan McGovern, I finished that work! Very excited, Banshee now has hardware support without HAL using gio and udev.

So yes, a udev/gio enabled banshee is now available for your hotplugging pleasures. With this comes preliminary iDevice (ipod/iphone/ipod) support powered by libgpod. The old podsleuth based plugin is still available but will eventually be phased out. The current work is at http://gitorious.org/+banshee-hw/banshee/banshee-iphone . If anyone wishes to test this, just grab the code and build. If you have any build issues, do let us know and we'll sort you out.

Other than that, what are the next steps we need to take to start the merge process into banshee proper? It's at the stage where we've tested all the basic stuff so we just need wider testing in case there are features we've left out or haven't re-implemented correctly.

Thanks,
Alan