[Banshee-List] Combining Unofficial Banshee Extensions [was: List of third party extensions on the website]

On Saturday 30,January,2010 11:44 PM, Bertrand Lorentz wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 16:00 -0800, Kristopher Dick wrote:
>>       * https://launchpad.net/banshee-remote-plugin/1.0/1.0  Allows
>>         remote control of Banshee via the BansheeRemote app on Android
>>         phones.
>>       * https://launchpad.net/banshee-listening-post/smtp/1.0
>>          Provides the basic functionality of sending e-mail messages
>>         to a preconfigured recipient when the track changes.
>
> Cool, I didn't know about those two, thanks !
> I added them to the page, and I also added the "Radio Station Fetcher"
> and "Stream Ripper" extensions that I missed before.

Cool, we have more extensions now!

Since we've got a significant number of extension packages that need to be
transitioned every other Banshee release, I'd actually like to propose everyone
getting together and merging all the off-tree extensions into a single
code-base, and synchronizing releases with Banshee's release, in something like
an extension pack of sorts. In fact, I think the banshee-unofficial-plugins
project on Google Code was started with something like that in mind.

This would make package maintainers' jobs (like mine, among others) much easier
-- no need to maintain separate packaging trees for each extension. To give an
idea on the volume -- if we have 10 different packaged extensions, and say, 3
versions of a distro that we want to backport the version to, that's 30
different packaging trees we have to maintain. And all of these have to be
transitioned every time a new Banshee release which breaks API/ABI appears. *cringe*

There will also be benefits to the maintainers of each extension, of course. The
most clear of these would be that each extension maintainer will not have to
maintain his/her own entire Autohell (or other, probably inferior) build system.
Last I checked, Banshee.CoverFlow has no build system, for instance. With a
combined project around, it should be trivial to integrate a new extension into
the tree, similar to how it can be integrated into the current Banshee tree.

What do the extension maintainers think? I'd like very much to hear from all of you.

P.S. As examples of other plugin projects out in the wild, something like the
geany-plugins (http://plugins.geany.org) project resulted out of combining
various plugins for the Geany text editor. It's quite young, but I think it's a
great success :-)

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin