Re: [Banshee-List] Notification error

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 06:00 -0700, vaskark wrote:
> I have notifications turned on in Banshee, and recently I've noticed an
> ommission of 'by' between song title and artist. Example:
>
> Now Playing
> Jesus Christ Pose Soundgarden
>
> I'm using the latest banshee (git) on ubuntu (karmic beta). Is anyone else
> seeing this?
> Many thanks.

This is due to NotifyOSD stripping newlines (and other formatting) from
notifications.  Banshee is sending
"Jesus Christ\n<i>Pose Soundgarden</i>" expecting it to be rendered as
"""
Jesus Christ
/Pose Soundgarden/
"""
but NotifyOSD strips the newline & formatting, so you see
"""
Jesus Christ Pose Soundgarden
""".

It's worth a bug, but I'm not sure what the best way to resolve it would
be.  Special-casing for notifyosd seems pretty ugly (particularly since
you really are special-casing for notifyosd - you can't simply check for
the "body-markup" capability[1]), and I'd expect resistance to using
only the lowest-common-denominator capabilities everywhere.

It's probably also worth a bug against the Ubuntu package; we could
easily patch in a "by" rather than "\n", which would hide the problem
for (I presume) almost all users of notifyosd.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD#sanitizing