Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee-Banshee sync

Hi there,

I have the same situation as Jud here. A desktop computer running
banshee and a netbook running it too.

I wanted to have the same statistics (e.g. playcount, jumpcount &
ratings) on both devices, as statistics is one of the reasons I came
from using Rhythmbox to Banshee.

I solved this by having a Dropbox. I have the original banshee.db in a
Dropbox folder and ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db is just a symlink on
both devices to this file in the Dropbox.

Dropbox is syncing this file bitwise to both computers permanenty. From
time to time I sync the music library manually with Unison.

All in all this works very good, just some small problems:
 * I have configured the music library to auto-rename files and folders.
Hearing music on my desktop ends up having some files and folders
renamed here and hearing songs on my netbook means the are renamed here.
Unison now has problems with long filenames. As some of my classical
songs have very long filenames the can't properly be synced. That again
causes banshee to loose the paths to this files which is a bit odd. You
can manually resolve this by syncing them with any other tool than
Unison.
 * You always have to sync the banshee.db with Dropbox when you want to
change computers. Not having it synced before ends up having two
instances of banshee.db causing a conflict. Dropbox will save them both
but you have to decide for one of them and maybe some statistics will be
gone. Also...
 * Running Banshee at the same time on both computers is a very bad idea
as you can imagine.
 * You should have the same version of banshee on both devices.

If you want to try out Dropbox follow this link to get a free 2.25GB
online storage:
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTM1NDg0Mjk

You can also use Ubuntu One which is more or less the same as Dropbox.

Kind regards,
Oliver