Re: [Banshee-List] GSoC Telepathy project

2009/3/10 Gianvito Cavasoli <gianvito gmx it>
Il giorno lun, 09/03/2009 alle 12.46 -0600, Neil Loknath ha scritto:
>  And, anything else that you'd like to comment on. :)

I think it's a great idea :)

I can't really take credit for the idea.  It's posted on the GNOME Summer of Code 2009 Ideas page: http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2009/Ideas

But, yes, it's a cool project idea and would be a nice feature for Banshee.  Any comments on the UI?  I'm thinking that have a Telepathy or "IM Sharing" source as a PrimarySource, and then having your online friends sources within that, is a more elegant interface.  You click on a contact and their library shows up.  I think we can circumvent the intrustive factor with a request dialog to the "serving" user stating that someone wants to browse their library.  This way, all of the metadata can be shared and if a user wants to download a file, all they have to do is double click or right click the track and choose "Download" from a popup menu.  Since the SourceManager is available as a DBus interface, this should be possible.

Just my 2c: maybe it's interesting to abstract the file transfer
protocol to be able to use it with the one that Giver uses? This way you
can share things with people in your LAN, no need for them to be
connected to any IM network.

Regards,

       Andrés

Cool.  I've never heard of Giver.  I'll take a look at it.