Re: [Banshee-List] DACP in Banshee

Jeff Wheeler-2 wrote:

> DACP doesn't involve any streaming music and seems to be considerably
> simpler and probably easier to implement than DAAP.
>
> What do you all think?

Jeff and members of the Banshee Community,

First a little background:  I have written the first 100% DACP compliant
server for a media player called MediaMonkey.  My plugin is called
MonkeyTunes...

http://melloware.com/products/monkeytunes/ MonkeyTunes Link

I spent about two months reverse engineering the DACP protocol so it
respected all of the Apple Remote's functions that I could.  The added bonus
is there is a Google Android DACP client also so I killed two birds with one
stone...

I charge 10$ currently for this plugin to MediaMonkey users.  If I were to
create something similar for Banshee I have some questions....

1. Most importantly....Is this even possible given the GPL license of
Banshee.  GPL is extremely viral and I don't know if I could create a
commercial Extension for Bashee since by its nature it would need to
implement the Banshee Extension interface?  So if I wanted to create a
non-open source commercial plugin for 10$ would this even be possible?  If
not I totally understand...just looking for some guidance.  Somehow I don't
think it is possible.

2. I notice there is NOT a lot of documentation on Extensions so I guess I
would have to look at the Banshee extensions in the source tree for
examples.  I didn't see any examples of querying the database directly for
say "Get all Artists" or "Get all Albums by Artist = Ú2"' Is there a
database schema somewhere documented with all the database tables in
Banshee?  That would be needed for this Extension to work properly and
efficiently.  MediaMonkey uses SQL Lite DB as I believe Banshee does.

3. Would there even be interest from the Banshee community?  I know a lot of
open source Linux projects and the community who use/support them are
usually against paying money for plugins for what is typically an open and
free environment.   If the community doesn't think it is viable then I of
course also understand.

I am just trying to figure out if it is worth pursuing?  Any guidance,
thoughts, or comments are welcome and appreciated.  If you don't want to use
this forum to chat we can always discuss offline at my email address info
<at> melloware !dot! com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Melloware
http://melloware.com http://melloware.com