Re: [Banshee-List] Re move the video portion of Banshee?

All apologies for this necropost, but I came across this thread while
searching for a way to do what comomolo was asking about and have to respond
to everyone crying "troll" on him.

One thing people have to remember is that for every person who cares enough
to speak up, there are dozens of others who have kept silent, either because
they don't care to join yet another email list\forum, don't think their
requests or questions will be taken seriously, or because they've seen
others get ripped to shreds for what seemed to them a very reasonable
question.  Kind of like what I'm seeing here, actually, to be honest...

I like Banshee as a music player and audio podcaster.  Unfortunately on my
eeepc 901 the inability to disable the video plugin makes things dificult
for me when I try to sync my mp3player.  Plugging it in and having Banshee
add it to the sidebar causes the whole program to get too big for the screen
and be unusable unless I deliberately unmaximize the application before
plugging in the mp3 player.  I'm sure there are other genuine usability
issues like things like this, people just haven't spoken up about them.

But that's besides the point.  Banshee is a great music player, that is what
I installed it to do.  I have other apps for video playing and for video
podcasting.  I prefer to stick with what I've been told is the *nix way--do
one thing and do it well.  So for my video playing I have gnome-mplayer, for
my video podcasting I use Miro, for my media center needs which include both
video and audio I use XBMC.  I'd like to use Banshee for my audio needs, but
unfortunately the app tries to set itself as the default for everything.

Linux is supposed to be about choice.  I should be able to set as default
what apps I think are the best for that particular activity.  Saying that my
choice is to accept whatever you deliver or find something else to use is
NOT a real choice and you know it.  Where did we get the idea that choices
were the enemy?  Sure, there should be sane defaults.  Make things work the
best to what the developer thinks they will be used for, but why remove the
ability to customize beyond that?

I can disable the Last.FM plugin if I choose.  (I do!)  I can disable the
iPod and Mirage support should I decide to do so.  Why can't I remove the
video support?  Sure, keep it on the system if you must--but why do I have
to see it in the sidebar, have to argue with Gnome about whether or not it
gets to play the video in Banshee because I missed that particular video
extension to change it to Gnome-mplayer?  Why can't I have the choice in
what to use and where?  Why must it be so difficult to change these things
or be told to find a new application to use?

I'm an enduser, not a programmer.  Why do I have to learn how to program to
use my computer the way I want?  This isn't 1999 anymore, RTFM! and fix it
yourself (or pay to have someone do it for you) aren't valid answers
anymore.

The Banshee developers can do whatever they want, (and they no doubt will)
but why is it so difficult to get a music management program that manages my
music only and does it well?

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Thank you for taking the time to read this mini rant.

PPS: The guy who mentioned music videos is the only one who made a
convincing argument for adding video support to Banshee that I found myself
nodding my head to in agreement.  I'm not against Banshee having the
capability, I just want to be able to turn it off.  If someone else finds it
useful, they can leave it on.