Re: [Banshee-List] Minor Alpha Comments

*The notification pop-up*

I initially found the new countdown timer on the notification pop-up quite confusing. I totally misunderstood what it is supposed to signify!

We have no control over this, unfortunately. This timer is a part of the
notification bubble theme provided by your distribution (which I'm going
to guess is Ubuntu, since they're the only distro I know shipping this
timer theme).

It's a horrendous idea to provide something like this at the
distribution level, and your feedback underlines why. You'll have to
raise this issue with your distribution as those bubbles show up based
on messages we send over DBus - we don't actually control the UI. We
have a nicer theme in openSUSE, without confusing timers :)

One thing that could be helpful would be to place the timer next to the close X in the top right hand corner - that would suggest that the timer relates to the closing of the notification, rather than 'Play next item'.

Again, we don't control the UI of the bubbles - just the content in
them.
Cool, I'll take this up with the Ubuntu people.
*Box borders*

The boxes (I'm sure there's a better word for these, but I don't know it!) which make up the main part of Banshee's UI extend right up to the left and right edges of the application window. For my tastes, there would be a small gap between the window edge and these boxes. That would look much nicer (and would be more consistent with the rest of the UI, maybe?)!

It's not a good idea to introduce padding around a UI like Banshee's for
usability reasons. For instance, in maximized mode, the window manager
can remove its border to allow the contents of the window to exactly
line up with the edge of the screen. This makes hitting the scroll bar a
lot easier with the mouse - the user can just shove the cursor all the
way to the right of the window and know that they can star dragging the
bar. If there were padding in our UI, the user would have to carefully
observe the exact location of the cursor before dragging the bar.

If you don't like the lack of padding, try another window manager theme
that introduces a border in un-maximized mode.
I hadn't considered the functional impact of adding padding. What you say makes sense for the right hand side, where there's a scroll bar. I'm sure I'm not aware of all factors, but if it's possible, it would be nice to see some more padding on the left hand side. I just think it would look better.

When an item is playing, its details are displayed at the top of the window in the format <Title> by <Artist> from <Album>. It would be really nice if clicking <Title>, <Artist>, or <Album> selected the corresponding items. They would become links, more or less.

This is planned, but probably not until after 1.0.
Super!
It would be really good to have an easy way to navigate to the current item in the browser (in addition to the one outlined above). Clicking on the first column in the item browser would be one way to do this.

This is also planned, and should be in before the final 1.0.
Even better!

Thanks,

Allan