Re: [Banshee-List] Minor Alpha Comments

 *The notification pop-up*

I've appreciated it. It tells me how quickly I need to respond to get
it out of my way or if I need to ignore it because I can't get to it
quickly enough. That has been an annoyance in other pop-up
notifications. I can see how it might be confusing, but with as fast
as it moves and being that it comes up at the beginning of the song,
the confusion can't last very long. The context would rule out it
going to the next song at the end of the animation's cycle.
Once you understand what it's there for, it is useful. The problem is, I think, that there isn't anything there to signify what the countdown timer means. You could figure it out after you've seen it in operation a couple of times (though I have to admit, it took me longer than that :) ), but the question is - should that be necessary? Shouldn't what it does/means be immediately obvious?

What is needed is some way of clearly saying - 'this notification will disappear after this timer has counted down'. Could you have an image of a pop-up (or a speech bubble?) superimposed over the timer, or something?

I think it's important to avoid the assumption that people will actively try and understand something that isn't immediately obvious. I suspect that many users of Banshee will not work in that way.

Perhaps
the majority of the confusion related to this would be resolved by the
next item you mention, renaming the button from 'Play next item' to
'Skip this item'. That would contextually put the animation near a
reference to "this item" and would then make sense that you have this
long to make a decision to skip this item.

It might. I certainly think it would help. At the same time, countdown timer next to 'Skip this item' button could be interpreted as 'time until this item is skipped'.
 I also wonder whether it would be better to rename the 'Play next item'
 button to 'Skip this item'. In the context of a pop-up notification,
 'Play next item' isn't particularly supported by relevant information -
 it doesn't tell you what the next item is. In comparison, it would be
 clear what 'Skip this item' refers to, since the details of 'this item'
 will be displayed in the pop-up itself.

I can see how this makes sense. Doing this might also resolve the
previous enhancement idea. :-)
I'll maybe submit this as an enhancement bug...
 *Window titles*

 At the moment, the format of the window title is: '<Title> (<Artist>)'.
 For example: 'Rock You (The Roots)'

 To me, brackets doesn't say 'this is the artist'. Hence, to me, they
 aren't particularly meaningful.

 One solution would be to go for the format of: '<Title> by <Artist>'.
 For example: 'Rock You by The Roots'. This would have the advantage of
 conforming to the format of the current item information in the main
 window (which goes: <Title> by <Artist> from <Album>). Continuity is good!

I like this too. :-)
And this one.
 *Browse by current item details*

 When an item is playing, its details are displayed at the top of the
 window in the format <Title> by <Artist> from <Album>. It would be
 really nice if clicking <Title>, <Artist>, or <Album> selected the
 corresponding items. They would become links, more or less.

 Just to be clear, it could work something like this:

 Click on <Title>: the item would be selected and displayed in the item
 browser
 Click on <Artist>: the artist would be selected and displayed in the
 artist browser
 Click on <Album>: the album would be selected and displayed in the album
 browser

That sounds like a neat idea, but I'm not sure that many people would
expect it to work that way. I wouldn't but I would enjoy knowing it
worked that way when I found out I guess.
Having the text respond in some way when the mouse cursor is over it would help, I guess. It would suggest that the text is interactive.
 *Display of currently playing item*

 It would be really good to have an easy way to navigate to the current
 item in the browser (in addition to the one outlined above). Clicking on
 the first column in the item browser would be one way to do this.

How would this be different from what is planned for "Now Playing". As
I understand it, that space would provide information on the currently
playing song. Is that what you are looking for?
What am I looking for?! Good question! I guess, what I am looking for is to be able to easily see similar items to the one that I am currently listening to.

Let me give you a use case:

I am listening to my whole library on shuffle. I hear a song I like, and I think, 'hey, I wonder what other songs are in this album?', or 'what other songs do I have by this artist?'

Currently, in order to browse to the current album/artist, I have to manually search or browse for that album/artist. It would be really nice if I could click something, have the current track selected in the browser, and then proceed from there. The kind of functionality I am looking for is something that is so easy that it the information I am looking for is either automatically displayed, or it is just one click away.

Sorry, this message is getting a bit cumbersome...

Allan