Re: [Banshee-List] album-art .cache => disk space management

In the future we'll have a manual cover art manager, and I would indeed like to expand the cover art spec to allow for tags of some sort so we can expire parts of the cache after a week or something.

On the whole though, I don't think 264.6 Mb of cached data / year isn't too much. It's also at least neatly contained in a single directory, though it's not exactly discoverable.

Certainly we'll improve this disk management in the future.

--Aaron

>>> Peter de Kraker <banshee umito nl> 06/03/08 2:49 AM >>>
Hi all,

Considering that for every lastfm radio track you play, its coverart
gets downloaded:
A user that plays 6 hours of lastfm radio gets about 15 songs / hour =
90 songs / day.
Most of the radio songs are from unique albums, thus it would be
something like 70 different albums / day.
Let's imagine that the happy banshee user does this 5 days/week (like me).

Average albumart size is (low estimate) 20kb, but more probably >30kb.

This results in:
70 * 5 * 20kb = 6.3 Mb CoverArt jpg's / week.
Doing that 40 weeks / year => 264.6 Mb cached data.

I think this is really unnecessary.

I would propose that the coverart of lastfm radio tracks is discarded
after 7 days, or that another way of managing this diskspace waste
problem should be found. It would be nice to have a solution that does
give graphics for the lastfm stats page (recent tracks), but does
discard the irrelevant older data, and of course keeps the coverart for
library albums. Something like a seperate cache subdir ?

Greetings,

Peter de Kraker