Re: [Banshee-List] Handling various artist albums

On Jan 28, 2008 5:19 PM, Josiah Ritchie <josiah ritchietribe net> wrote:
> I understand that albumartist is meant to be used to bring an album
> together, but I don't understand why it is needed and what you'd put
> in it that would be useful. If artist has the real artists name and
> the same album name is used by multiple artists, then shouldn't it be
> assumed that the album includes various artists? It just doesn't make
> sense to me to define an album by the name of the artist of the
> included songs. I'd rather see other information that should line up
> like album name, release date and album art be put to that use. The
> artist is known to be inconsistent and untrustworthy. iTunes
> albumartist seems like an ugly hack to me. I will, of course, defer to
> he greater community on this. :-)

Same for quodlibet (probably also exaile) and various Windows players.
albumartist is one of the standard tags. Putting everything together
by album tag is prone to errors as album names like "the best of" or
single word titles are pretty popular. Same about release date as it's
often absent or set to a year (a valid value for this tag).

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution