Re: [Banshee-List] Track dictionary in TrackListDatabaseModel

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 12:33 +0100, LCID Fire wrote:
> I was looking into TrackListDatabaseModel and wondered why the tracks
> are managed in a Dictionary?

This is actually a good choice.

Look ups and inserts into a hash table are a near O(1) operations on
average.  Look ups are O(n) in theory, but you're not likely to see
that.

> I'd say it would make more sense to have this as a list[...]

The major issue is that in List<T>s (List<T>-s?  LisTees?) is that their
element lists must be traversed to find elements / indexes.  So, look
ups and adds are O(n) operations.

Also, considering that db key values do not necessarily correspond to
list index values, you would run into a potentially memory intensive
data sparsity issue.

~Mike