Re: [Banshee-List] Glade Squashing Day

Michael Hutchinson escribió:
On Feb 11, 2008 8:36 PM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
On Feb 11, 2008 7:32 PM, Scott Peterson <lunchtimemama gmail com> wrote:
For the record, what is the project's attitude toward stetic?
I haven't really used Stetic in a project, so can't speak to it other
than where it is the same as Glade.  My personal opinion is that Glade
is great for doing UI mockups, but more pain and indirection than it's
worth.

The advantage of Stetic over glade is that it has pretty tight
GTK#/Mono integration -- you can create GTK# widgets
(http://monodevelop.com/Creating_custom_widgets_with_MonoDevelop), use
hand-written widgets from stetic, and stetic-created widgets from
hand-written code. It uses code generation to build the widgets*, so
there's no runtime parsing and binding. It can import glade files, can
target different GTK# versions, and handles redirecting translatable
strings through a gettext implementation of your choice.

There are of course many places where it's easier to write the code by
hand, but for dialogs and widgets that have a lot of Table/VBox/HBox
layout (e.g. MonoDevelop's settings panels) it's invaluable.

*we recommend committing the generated files to SCM so that
developers/packagers etc don't need MonoDevelop.

I would recommend stetic too, specially for the reason of having the import utility from Glade (which would turn this task in automatic, instead of a manual global Glade->C# effort).

Just my 2c.

Regards.

	Andrés	[ knocte ]