Re: [Banshee-List] Is Banshee bit perfect?

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 06:38 +0100, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> No comments?
>
> Matthias
>

> On 02.02.2008, at 13:00, banshee-list-request gnome org wrote:
>
> > Message: 5
> > Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:11:48 +0100
> > From: Matthias Brennwald <matthias brennwald org>
> > Subject: [Banshee-List] Is Banshee bit perfect?
> > To: banshee-list gnome org
> >
> > Dear all
> >
> > I wonder if it is possible to send my music files to the soundcard or
> > an external digital-to-analog converter in a "bit-perfect" fashion,
> > i.e. without any alteration of the sound data (no resampling, no
> > amplitude scaling, no truncation of 24-bit data). Also, which sample
> > rates are supported by Banshee?
> >
> > Matthias

Banshee (at least the GStreamer backend) uses GStreamer for all it's
audio.  It supports essentially arbitrary sample rates and arbitrary
bitdepths.  Your stream will be rescaled if and only if the volume is
set to less than 100%.  Whether or not your data is resampled is going
to be a function of your input files and your output sink's (usually
ALSA) capabilities, and fundamentally to the output device's
capabilities.

So, in short, the answer is "yes" and "all of them", but you'll need to
look further down the stack - ALSA or PulseAudio or Jack, or whatever
output GStreamer is set to use - in order to determine whether or not it
is happening on your system.