[Banshee-List] ipod problems

Hi everyone,
I'm using Ubuntu on my lap top - I'm not a partic. savvy computer person, just v. sick of microsoft and wanted to learn more, too. I've got Banshee and am thrilled that it synchronises to my ipod. However, despite the fact that it will play music from my ipod when it's plugged into the laptop, when I unplug it there's nothing visible on the ipod. I'm totally guessing that it's something really stupid I'm not doing (the difference between mwa and mp3 and the oog or ogg?) but I'm kind of stuck at the moment and feeling frustrated. It's a new ipod, I haven't had one before so it could be something at that end?
Any help much appreciated - and apologies for posting such a dumbed down question!
Catty