Re: [Banshee-List] banshee later than 10.9 possible on SLED10?

It's quite easy to run on SLED. The SUSE 10.1 repository contains the
upstream Banshee packages that are always up to date. I handle the
packaging of Banshee that actually goes into SLED, openSUSE, and the
openSUSE build service (managed outside of the actual distribution
update channels).

Read the following page for detailed installation instructions for SLED
10, SUSE 10.1, openSUSE 10.2, and SUSE Factory. It's quite easy, and
once you follow the process, you'll get upstream updates automatically
as they become available, usually within 24 hours after the upstream
source release.

http://banshee-project.org/Distributions/SUSE

However, please understand the footnote about Helix Banshee on this
page. Helix Banshee in SLED is actually a separate product from Banshee.
It's based on the upstream Banshee core, but adds Helix specific
components. Updating Helix Banshee to "upstream" Banshee using the build
service (as outlined at the above page) will leave you without Helix
support - you will lose MP3, AAC, and RealMedia decoding and MP3
encoding. You can get this support back via GStreamer plugins [1], but
it's not something we can distribute. Banshee in the build service is
"upstream" - pure open source with no proprietary bits (unlike Helix
Banshee, which is shipped in SLED).

Helix Banshee at this time can only be updated through the primary
distribution channel, and we only provide security and major bug fixes
through this channel between distribution releases. We are working to
provide Helix Banshee releases and updates through helixcommunity.org
(required due to our partnership with RealNetworks), but it is not yet
possible.

We are currently working on SLED 10 SP1, and the very latest Helix
Banshee will be in it. I submitted Helix Banshee 0.11.5 to SP1 Beta 2
yesterday.

If you really want Helix support, you can install the latest upstream
packages, and then head to http://helix-banshee.helixcommunity.org and
download both helix-banshee-client 0.11.5 and helix-dbus-server 0.4.
Install helix-dbus-server first, then helix-banshee-client. Ensure you
have installed the upstream banshee-devel package, and you should be all
good [2].

Cheers,
Aaron

[1] You might be interested in knowing that Fluendo has just released
their first round of public proprietary codecs, including WMA, WMV
decoding, MP3 decoding, MPEG decoding, etc. They also have a free MP3
decoder you can easily download and install:
http://www.fluendo.com/press/releases/PR-2007-01.html

They do not currently have an AAC decoder available at this time. One
will be released in the coming months however.

[2] The helix-banshee web site is currently "in the works." Ignore the
main page and head to the files download area and get the source
packages. I will have detailed instructions up soon.