Re: [Banshee-List] Media library (summer of code)

On 5/20/06, Adam Lofts <adam lofts gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Disclaimer: I am not a SoC mentor and so as far as getting funding my view
counts for absolutely nothing!

I think the broader picture of a metadata based desktop is the real solution
to things like this. You referenced Beagle which provides an example of the
sort of thing I mean. To get a music library you would ask Beagle

library = Beagle.Query ("audio/*");

I think this is the true solution to all types of applications which have in
house databases, banshee, f-spot, firefox bookmarks etc.

Beagle does indexing, metadata extraction, and querying.

But I don't think it addresses the problems of moving files, or
hotplug, or consistent ids accross files that have been transferred on
another support.
What I want to provide is a complete, static, flattened view of every
folder and mp3 player. A file should be tracked and the database
always completely up-to-date.
Maybe my library could be wrapped as a Beagle Queryable (an indexing
backend), but it is not the same as the filesystem backend, and will
use filesystem resources differently.

So yes, Beagle.Query() is a cool API, but it does a bit more and a bit less.

Gabriel