Re: [Banshee-List] Shuffle playlist plugin

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 14:41 -0400, Trick van Staveren wrote:
> This looks cool - it kinda works for me but it doesn't remove tracks
> from the playlist
> after played.  It also double-adds when I remove a single track.  The
> code looks
> good...maybe the PlayerEngineCore has changed in my cvs version and
> that's why the
> automatic removal doesn't work.

I haven't tested much against CVS, but I had at least the first problem
the last time I did.

> I've actually been thinking lately about writing something similar to
> this.  What I'd
> like to do (and I think other plugins for itunes or amarok probably do
> this) is set it
> up so it's not actually pseudo random, but "intelligent random" so that
> it will pick
> music that is "similar" to it (eg by maybe picking two or three songs
> by a single
> artist and then finding the next by picking songs from the same genre.

Yeah, I think this is what Amarok does.  What I really wanted to do, and
just didn't get around to yet, was use the random track function that
Banshee already uses for shuffle mode.  That function is already
weighted in favor of songs in the same genre and, in the future, it's
possible it could be enhanced in other ways that would make it really
convenient to use that function instead of duplicating it (e.g. user
preferences about the randomization style, album shuffle, etc.).

> Good stuff!  LMK if you make any more changes, I'd be curious to see :)

Just some code cleanups and other boring stuff so far.  I'll probably
hack on getting it to work with CVS this weekend now that classes are
over.  I'm glad you liked it - BTW, the Wikipedia plugin is really neat.

 - Pat