Re: [Banshee-devel-list] banshee-official-plugins and 0.11.x

Hey folks!

I've really been liking the way things are going, and I'm happy to see the official plugins moving along well too. I think the Banshee world is ready for a release already :)

My wishlist for 0.11.0:

* BGO 340222: handle errors gracefully. I have a few music files that gstreamer pukes on, and I'd really like to see banshee simply notify me of the error, but not stop playing back. I use banshee as a jukebox and when I'm at the other end of my apartment and it stops on a bad track, I hate having to tell banshee to keep playing. Also annoying when using banshee as an alarm clock and it stops after a few minutes of playback...I don't like oversleeping b/c of some error :)

* Randomization really needs to be re-vamped. Aaron, I know you've talked about this in the past. I've noticed it repeating tracks frequently (particularly on a short-ish playlist of about 100 tracks). BGO 327952 might be related (don't know what it's patch does...)

* Issues with filenames that banshee doesn't like should be resolved. This might have already been fixed, and if it is, there's some bugs (search found just a few: 334586, 341413, 346128, 336601) that need to be closed. I used to not be able to listen to anything with a @ in the name or path, and it doesn't seen to like some accented characters. I don't know if this is a banshee issue or a locale issue, but I've seen a lot of IRC reporters trying to sort this out and the just end up renaming their files to use non-accented characters that are "close enough".

* I'd also like to work on some website updates around the 0.11 release:
** The FAQ needs some updates. I'm guilty of not keeping track of repetitive questions we get on IRC, but there's some of them that we get so often it's frustrating even to me. Particularly I'd like to see links for the "howto" for each distro for gstreamer mp3 playback as this is one thing that turns off a LOT of new users who are coming from libxine-based or windows players. I'll start working on this :) ** The Banshee Guide could be expanded, but I've hesitated doing so as some of the stuff I want to add isn't in 0.10.10. I'd like to go thru and expand on all the FIXME's that are in there, and also add pages on DAP's, and expand the plugins page to give a short demo/howto on each plugin.

Also, I've had some other things on my mind that I'd like to see in the near future

* I'd like to discuss with Fredrik et al about combining the wikipedia plugin with the recommendation plugin. The WP plugin now also does lyrics (not from WP, of course) and it's in pretty good shape. I was thinking we could put each category of "meta information" (recommendations, wikipedia, lyrics, others?) each in it's own tab that will all sit in the same pane. ** Another thing that needs to be addressed is the fact that the pane cannot be resized. This would require putting the library track list into a HPaned - I hacked at it once but I'm no gtk wizard... ** For this to happen, I'd need to figure out the whole gtkmozembed issue that seems to create issues on everyone's platform but mine (I've been meaning to set up a few other test distros to sort it out).

* I'd like to talk with other DAP developers about DAP playlists. I've already started implementing them for MTP and have a working read-only patch that displays them as child sources. However, we need to agree on, and implement, the core changes to the Banshee.Dap library that will work for all the DAP plugins. Lukas, are you on this list? I'd like to hear from you...

* As for the roadmap, I'd like to (and I'm willing to help with this) break it down into what we want to see in each individual release of 0.11.x (eg 0.11.0 will have feature A, 0.11.1 will have features B and C, etc). This would help us set goals for each release and maybe we can assign a few tasks to people other than abock so that more people get involved. I know I'd like to write stuff for the core, but I don't even know where to help out!

* The DAAP plugin - are we going to continue keeping the server side of this one in a plugin? At one point we talked about removing it and adding support in Tangerine to serve using Banshee's database. Thoughts on the topic, anyone?

Sorry for the long winded email, it's a boring afternoon at work :)

Cheers,
Patrick

PS: Aaron, sorry if you got a duplicate of this...missed the Reply to List button first time around...

--
Patrick "Trick" van Staveren
http://trick.vanstaveren.us