Re: [Banshee-devel-list] banshee-official-plugins and 0.11.x

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 22:03 -0400, Aaron Bockover wrote:
> Hola Banshee Developers!
>
> I need to write up a more broken-down and revised Roadmap
> (http://banshee-project.org/Roadmap) for this wonderful new cycle that
> is 0.11.x (will stabilize to 0.12.x), but I'd like to see the first
> unstable (0.11.0) release by the nearly arbitrary date of August 9th.
> That's one month from today.
>
> So I'm writing to get some feedback:
>
> a) What are some major areas that need work in core (I can name a few
> important areas, but I'd like to get uninfluenced feedback first)

My three points of pain:

*) Performance
We're pretty feature-complete, but there's loads that could be done in
speed / memory usage. Let's make banshee as snappy as Winamp2 used to
be :-). I'm very interested in the new view/model.

*) Metadata
Do the metadata editing in two directions. In other words: commit
changes to file. But never, ever screw up user files. Showing metadata
for streams and podcasts (to a lesser extent) doesn't really make sense
currently most of the time (in the TrackInfoHeader).

*) VBR
VBR reading is really really bad. Probably a gstreamer issue, but it's
bad.

>From a programmers view, I'd like more documented code. Is there a way
to merge back the additions in monodoc from monodoc into the source
code? Documentation should really be next to the source code (as,
certainly with the current amount of documentation done, the source code
is the first place one looks anyway).

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.Lambda1.be/