Balsa won't let me view email

Hi all,

I have Balsa set to see and work with my local Dovecot IMAP server. I
just used it for the first time in several years, and it's going
through an incredibly slow (like 10 minutes per folder) process of
checking each of my roughly 200 folders. Meanwhile, the "Check" button
is grayed out and when I click on any folder in the folder list, I see
no messages. Is this expected behavior? If not, what can I do to access
my Dovecot stored email with Balsa?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times