Re: new warning running meson

Hi Jack!

On 08/01/2021 02:47:26 PM Sun, Jack via balsa-list wrote:
Running meson, I get

./balsa-git/meson.build:475: WARNING: Consider using the built-in werror option instead of using "-Werror".

I don't recall seeing this before, but I suppose it's been a while since I've run meson.  Note this was "meson
--reconfigure ../balsa.git" and not a totally clean run, just in case that matters.

Jack

That "warning" showed up with some recent version of meson. It's harmless--more of a suggestion than a
warning!

Balsa has always limited "-Werror" to builds from the git tree, so that other builds (e.g. from tarballs) can show a
compiler warning without aborting the build. The only way I know to achieve that is to add "-Werror" to the compiler
flags when building from a git tree.

Meson allows "werror=true" in the default_options of the project() function, but that is then unconditional.
It can be overridden when building an executable target, and we could do that to turn off some errors in non-git
builds. But much of Balsa's code is compiled into static libraries, and Meson has no corresponding override mechanism
for libraries.

Best,