Re: Configuring GMail account in balsa

On 2020.05.14 11:51, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
Hi José,

Welcome to the list!

On 05/14/2020 08:33:56 AM Thu, José Romildo Malaquias via balsa-list wrote:
I would like to experiment the balsa email client with a GMail account, and I would like to have some guidance on how to set it up. It is not clear to me how to fill the wizard dialogs with entries appropriate for GMail.

Any help is welcome.

I use IMAP to manage my GMail accounts. It's not very satisfactory, as their implementation of the IMAP protocol seems slow and perhaps incomplete. If you would like to try it, here's what I suggest for a start:

Name of mail server: imap.gmail.com
Type of mail server: IMAP
Connection security: SSL
Your email login name: Your GMail address
Your password: I believe you will need to get an "application password" from Google

Others may use different settings--this is just what I have found to work.
I also have balsa configured to access GMail. For IMAP, my settings seem the same as Peter's, although I don't remember having to set up an "application password" although doing so might be better security. However, I primarily use POP3
Server:  pop.gmail.com
Security:  POP3 over SSL
Username and Pass Phrase:  same as for IMAP

For outgoing SMTP:
Server:  smtp.gmail.com
Security:  TLS required
Name/Password:  as above.

For POP3, you will need to check the gmail's "allow less secure applications" checkbox. I haven't looked at this in a long time, but as I remember, it is required for ANY application that doesn't use OAUTH2. It really doesn't have anything to do with how secure an application is or is not.

Jack