Re: [Bug+Fix] broken mailbox view after moving IMAP folder sideways

Hi Peter!

Am 16.03.19 21:50 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
Well, in case Balsa *has* such a bandwidth-challenged user: the attached patch finds the nearest common
ancestor, and scans from there. It also has some NULL guards that seem to be needed. I've tested it with a
toy folder tree on a gmail server. What do you think?

It works for me, and the change to src/main-window.c (?) re-opening the shifted folder is really nice.

However, for my ISP's connection the difference in data transmitted when moving a folder from “INBOX/Test
1/Test a” to ”INBOX/Test 2/Test a” is a total of 15 bytes sent and 238 bytes received (after decryption).

To be honest, I wonder if this really justifies the extra complexity of the code, in particular as this is an
operation which will typically be performed rarely.  As a comparison, the login, starttls and authentication
process sends 115 and receives 651 bytes, and reading the envelope of a single message item sends 85 and
receives 547…

Actually, this patch has been a byproduct of a larger change I'm preparing, which addresses subscription
management and choosing the folder for renaming.  As to simplify life, I also re-scan the server structure
instead of relying on the cached data.  I will re-think this approach…

Looking forward to that!

…which has been delayed by real-life work and a flu, I hope I can prepare a proposal next week…

Cheers,
Albrecht.