Re: [Security Patch] Mitigate EFail Vulnerability for Webkit2

Hi Albrecht,

On 05/31/2018 10:16:23 AM Thu, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi all,

Balsa's Webkit2 (USE_WEBKIT2 is defined) implementation is vulnerable to the EFail [1] attack, as it loads
external content *without* user interaction for the cases H4, H5, H14, H15 and H17.  The attached patch
* completely disables Java and JavaScript, as it should always be considered harmful in emails;
* completely disables loading external content without user confirmation.

I tested several legitimate HTML messages with embedded and external images; the patch doesn't change their
behaviour.  I.e. embedded images are displayed, and external content is loaded only after user confirmation.

Please note that the patch addresses Webkit2 *only*.  I didn't test the other html options, Balsa /may/ still
be vulnerable if they are used.  Additionally, there /may/ be other backchannels which could be used for an
attack with Webkit2.  The only really safe option is to disable HTML rendering completely.

I also attach a test message (in mailbox format) which contains several HTML parts, each trying to exploit a
different method for bypassing remote content blocking.  All requests are directed to my personal web page,
and I don't collect logs.  To test it, just terminate all web applications, run tcpdump (or wireshark) for
port 80, and open the message in Balsa or any other mail client…

Best,
Albrecht.

[1] <https://efail.de/efail-attack-paper.pdf>

Many thanks for the patch! Pushed to GitLab. Is this ready for a release?