Re: new problem with Balsa (git head)

Hi Jack:

Am 01.02.18 22:33 schrieb(en) Jack:
Thanks.  Changing to "never" does seem to have worked.  Am I correct this is a per mailbox setting, with no
general override?

Yes.

To repeat, my problem is not how long the check takes, but that it blocks Balsa from doing ANYTHING at all.
However, I can imagine the potential issues if you (for example) go flying through (down arrow) a whole bunch
of messages, and have to track (or cancel) those checks on the fly.  I'm actually trying to do some real work
right now, but will check the debug output within a few days.

Adding a little instrumentation, on my box the verification of a typical (i.e. a few k of text content)
signed message seems to take about 300…500 ms.  Loading the key for the signature seems to take /longer/ than
that, resulting in a total processing time of ~1…2 s per message.  And there seems to be a difference between
using Balsa's libbalsa_gpgme_list_keys() helper vs. gpgme_get_key() as the latter is /slower/, even though I
have automatic key server look-ups disabled.

Thus, if the signature check takes longer for you, I presume you have either a *huge* key ring, or a
gpg/gpgsm configuration which queries a slow key server and/or checks CRL's of S/MIME certificates.

I will create a patch, probably next weekend, replacing gpgme_get_key() by an even more simplified (faster)
alternative which guarantees that an external key server will never be queried (which may be undesirable
anyway, as this operation leaks information about the keys yo want to check to the internet).

Please note that both signature verification and loading the related key (as to calculate the trust) are
/required/ to properly display a message.  The /only/ alternative is to disable the automatic
verification/decryption for the mailbox, and to validate the messages manually.  However, as a first step I
highly recommend you to double-check the gpg/gpgsm configuration as noted above.

Cheers,
Albrecht.