new problem with Balsa (git head)

I'm not sure exactly when this started - but I started noticing it a few weeks ago. Initially, I only noticed it when running balsa remotely (ssh -Y) but have now confirmed it also happens running locally.

Every now and then, apparently when I select a new message (not unread - just switching messages to one which has not been open recently) Balsa simply stops responding for somewhere around 45 seconds. It might even be the first message displayed when switching to a different mailbox. I can move or resize the window, but that is being done by the window manager, and there is no redraw until Balsa returns from wherever it went. I see nothing that looks remotely relevant, even with command line debugging turned on.

My vague suspicion is that it might be related to Balsa trying to check something about a PGP signed message, and making that check synchronously instead of asynchronously. Pure suspicion with no solid evidence, but at least every message I have noticed that has caused this has been signed. I'm getting no errors regarding the signing, however.

I only see one large patch applied after the parallel POP3 fetch changes, and I'm pretty sure the POP3 changes were not the cause, but none of the changes in the other patch strike me as suspect. Note that these problems are not happening when fetching new mail, and can happen when displaying messages retrieved months ago, not necessarily recently.

Any thoughts or suggestions on further troubleshooting?

Jack