Re: Balsa with-gnome option

Hi Peter:

Am 19.09.17 00:26 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
The meson files obviously have to incorporate the build information embodied in configure.ac and all the
Makefile.am files, so I had to go through them line by line to decipher that information. Much of it is quite
inscrutable!

Yes…  You will probably find traces leading back to the days when Balsa used Gtk 2 or even 1!

One odd legacy option is --with-gnome. Choosing it has three consequences:

(1) Add "GNOME" to the Categories in Balsa's .desktop files.

(2) If libsecret is not being used to manage passwords, gnome-keyring is checked as an alternative; it has
been deprecated in favor of libsecret for a while, but libsecret may not be available in all distributions.

(3) HAVE_GNOME is defined; it is referenced only in the toolbar code, where GSettings is used only if
HAVE_GNOME is defined.

Of these, (1) seems reasonable. (2) might be better implemented as a separate option like
'--with-password-manager = libsecret | gnome-keyring | internal' (Balsa does have its own private config file
for passwords), as there is no apparent reason for tying it to the content of the .desktop files.

I think this would be a good idea!  But now that you are clearing up - why should we keep the gnome-keyring
option at all?  I.e. “--with-libsecret” does exactly this, whereas “--without-libsecret” uses Balsa's
internal method (which might be improved; e.g. by encrypting the password cache with the GnuPG or S/MIME
public key when gpgme is available.  This might be a project for the future, though).

But (3) baffles me: GSettings is part of libgio, which is always used by Balsa. It does require a backend, but is
there any setup where none is provided? If there is, we should have another option like '--enable-gsettings = yes
| no", but I see no reason for tying it to --with-gnome.

I fully agree with you that GSettings should not be linked to Gnome.  As we always require GIO, I would
suggest to always use it, without any configure option.

Cheers,
Albrecht.