Re: Urgent: Balsa crashes on send / how to debug

Hi Helmut:

Am 09.09.17 12:37 schrieb(en) jarausch skynet be:
Hi Albrecht
The situation is (more than) strange.
When I start the version compiled with Gentoo (with debugging info)
- this amounts to
CFLAGS="-g -O2" ./configure   --with-gpgme --with-libnotify    --with--sqlite --with-html-widget=webkit2

Did you run a "make install" afterwards, just to make sure the ui files are installed properly?

I can enter "Compose", fill out all fields and I can push the Send button.
Then the question
Send encrypted     Send unencrypted    Cancel
pops up.
When I enter "Send unencrypted" it crashes - see below.

If I press "Cancel" it goes back to the standard view, but closing Balsa
it crashes with the same error.

Hmmm, strange…

But when I configure differently with
./bootstrap.sh
CFLAGS="-g -O2" ./configure --enable-debug-threads  --without-gpgme --with-libnotify --with--sqlite
--with-html-widget=webkit2

Balsa crashes immediately when press the "Compose" button.

…even more strange.

By the way, the build with --enable-debug-threads seems to be broken.

Looking at the code, I get the impression that it actually doesn't do something sensible.  Peter?  Shouldn't
we just remove this stuff?  Or what's its purpose?

I had to add several libraries to  "balsa_ab"

So where should I put break points to find the cause of the crash?
[snip]

> What does gdb say when you enter "bt full"?
The back trace is of no help - it smells like a recursion error :

Yes, it's completely broken.  The stack corruption might have been caused by an overflow or similar.  Do you
have Valgrind installed?  You could try to run Balsa in valgrind (note that it will run *extremely* slow, as
Valgrind will catch all mem operations!) by calling

valgrind --log-file=balsa-vg.log src/balsa

and then check the log file if it reports any memory errors.  Somehow a little stabbing in the dark, I'm
afraid, but these issues are typically difficult to track down…

Cheers,
Albrecht.

Thread 1 "balsa" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff14af8a7 in g_main_context_prepare ()
   from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x00007ffff14af8a7 in g_main_context_prepare ()
   from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#2  0x00000001f14aff7a in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#3  0x00007fffffffc924 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#4  0x00007fffffffc9b0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#5  0xffffffff00000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#6  0x0000000000f6a6c0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#7  0x0000000000769aa0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#8  0x00007fff00000001 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#9  0x00000000007670c0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#10 0x0000000000f6a6c0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#11 0x0000000000ad59ec in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#12 0xc13026a68e97c100 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#13 0x3225686373756172 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#14 0x0000000000769aa0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#15 0x0000000000ad5aa0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#16 0x00000000008e23b0 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#17 0x00007fffffffc9b4 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#18 0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#19 0x0000000000000005 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#20 0x00007ffff14b032b in g_main_context_iterate.isra ()
#21 0x0000000000ad59e0 in ?? ()
#22 0x000000018e97c100 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#23 0x00000000ffffffff in ?? ()