Re: [Patch] Gpgme-related improvements

Hi Albrecht:

On 07/01/2017 04:05:04 PM Sat, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi all,

attached is a patch with several gpg-related improvements and simplifications.

1. Do not call gpg directly
Gpgme supports listing external keys (i.e. on key servers) as well as importing keys from key servers into the local
key ring and updating keys in the local ring from key servers.  Thus, I replaced the operations talking directly with
gpg by the respective Gpgme operations which simplifies the code and gives better feedback to the user as gpgme takes
care of parsing the version-dependent gpg output.  And as there is no need for telling gpgme which gpg application to
use, we can completely drop the "--with-gpg-app" config option.  A new module (libbalsa source file)
implements helper to list keys and to run a key server operation as new thread.

2. S/MIME support
It does not make sense to switch off s/mime support as its support in gpgme is completely stable since years, and we
check the availability of the various engines on start-up anyway.  I removed the "--enable-smime" configure
option which also removes some of the nasty #ifdef's in the code.

3. Convenience widgets
For a nicer (I hope...) display, I wrote widgets for displaying a key's data and a key-related message
dialogue.  The key widget shows the relevant data in a more structured way and highlights expired, revoked,
etc. data clearly (try a message I send before December 2105; I revoked the old key).

4. Crypto workflow improvements
Searching a key by mail address now requires an /exact/ match.  The old code would find the key for UID "some user isp
com" if the recipient is actually "user isp com" (substring match) which was actually wrong.

If no key for encryption matches the recipient's mail address, Balsa shows a list with all keys as to handle
the case that a recipient failed to add the proper uid to the key.  However, the list was also shown in the
following case:
- recipient's key exists with low trust
- do not automatically accept low trust keys, so show the confirmation dialogue
- user rejects the key (i.e cancel the operation)
- the full key list is shown despite the cancellation
Now cancel will /really/ cancel the operation.

5. Documentation and coding style
Following my recent criticism, I tried to add Doxygen documentation and to follow Peter's proposed coding
style.

Possible improvements:
(a) in the key list selection dialogue, instead of showing few key details in extra columns, we could add a
hotkey/context menu to show the full key details in the new key dialogue;
(b) listing all keys is slow, in particular if the local key ring is large.  Thus, we might want to show
something like a spinner while loading the key list;
(c) in the send message dialogue, the protocol selection radio options (pgp/mime, openpgp, s/mime) are not
properly disabled if the respective protocol is unavailable.  I have no idea (and did not find any
documentation) how only /one/ radio item of a GAction can be disabled;
(d) we might want to add an option to the message composer dialogue to check the key server (not only the local key
ring) if keys for recipients are available, but not yet in the local key ring.  When EasyGPG (see
<https://wiki.gnupg.org/EasyGpg2016>) has been fully implemented, GpgME will use WKD/WKS for that;
(e) modern gpg versions will /always/ use pinentry.  So we might want to remove the code reading a key's
passphrase using out callbacks.

As always, any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Albrecht.

Thanks for the contribution--that's great in so many ways! I checked messages with both a valid key and that
revoked key--you've nicely clarified the display. I haven't had a chance to explore the other improvements,
and I'll be on a slow-to-non-existent connection for the next week; I pushed the changes to master, so that
we can all play with them.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Peter