strange content type handling

For the past few days, messages from one particular person to the cygwin mailing list have shown up in my inbox as "Type: unknown (application/octet-stream) with only the offer to Save part. The source shows "Content-Type: application/octet-stream". What is particularly odd is that if I select a different message, and then select the first, it says "Type plain text document (text/plain)" with the offer to save pare or open with KMyMoney, which is a finance program, and not a text viewer. The sender says "I am using non standard Content-Type: text; charset=UTF-8" but nobody else on the list has said anything about problems with his messages. He will change to text/plain, so I don't foresee further problems, but I'm really curious if anyone has any thoughts about what's been going on.

Jack